[jp] JPilot and DatebookDB

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 5 12:32:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Ralph Alvy wrote:

> Actually, I would have never known about the corrupted DatebookDB if I
> used only BackupMan and not both BackupMan and RescoBackup to do my
> backups. RescoBackup tests the integrity of databases before starting the
> backup, whereas BackupMan just goes ahead with the backup without
> scanning. And the problem only happens occasionally, without an apparent
> pattern.

Ralph,

   That's interesting. I've always backed up the jpilot data along with
everything else using bru (incremental backups daily, full backups weekly).
On occasion I use the jpilot backup feature. And, when the handheld needed
to be restored (my wife would let the batteries die on her earlier Palms and
the data went away), the jpilot 'restore handheld' worked like a charm.
That's also what I've used to install my data onto a new PDA.

   Other than what RescoBackup reports, have you seen indications of
corruption on the jpilot or PDA records for the databook? I'm just curious.
Perhaps it's a quirk of the tool and not of jpilot or your PDA?

Thanks,

Rich