[jp] Jpilot on Eeepc

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Sat Jun 28 05:41:49 EDT 2008

Purely in the spirit of research and helping others :-)

Eeepc comes with kpilot installed. To run jpilot it is essential to disable
kpilotd.

To change to Jpilot
start off with a terminal
Ctrl-Alt-T brings up a terminal.
type into this sudo kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list

This brings up kwrite, and a file with 2 lines in it.
Add a third line
deb http://xnv4.xandros.com/xs2.0/upkg-srv2 etch main contrib non-free
save the file
close kwrite
back in the terminal type
sudo apt-get update
provided you have a network connection this should provide output that says
you are getting somewhere
you can ignore the GPG signature warning

when that has concluded type
apt-get install jpilot
answer y to the question and jpilot will be installed

==========================

so far so good
but I can't find any equivalent of /var/log/messages to run
tail -f /var/log/messages
and find what happens next.
the visor module is loaded, i have no kpilot running on doing ps ax grep |
pilot
and i can't make a connection
the jpilot version is 0.99.9.2
i haven't found where the hotplug scripts are located

--
It's odd, and a little unsettling, to reflect upon the fact that
English is the only major language in which "I" is capitalized; in many