[jp] Need help restoring jpilot

Paul Erickson paule at sfu.ca
Tue Oct 2 11:31:17 EDT 2007

TR wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2007 19:30, Paul Erickson wrote:
>
>> Ok, I admit it, I blew it... I got curious about evolution and gpilot so
>> thought I would try them... Needless to say
>> it did not work. So, I removed gpilot etc, but cannot get my original
>> jpilot to work... I tried uninstalling and reinstalling,
>> but when I try to sync, I get the following message.
>>
>> pi_accept Illegal seek
>> Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_PI_ACCEPT
>> Finished
>>
>> Help please, I promise not to make that mistake again...
>>

> Don't worry. JPilot doesn't do "it all", so it's understandable, IMO, that
> you'd want explore other desktop solutions. God knows I've struggled to get
> Kontact (KDE's Evolution counterpart) to work for me, because it would be
> sweet, but am not willing to live with gorked data and issues with the UI.
>
> Thank goodness for JPilot, or I'd be stuck with KPilot!
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is, but one thing that needs to be verified is
> that one of these other programs isn't locking up the serial port used to
> connect, i.e., "gpilot" or some such daemon process.
>
> -TR

Thanks very much for the reply. I found that a "killall gpilotd" solved
the problem.

Perhaps you could contact me off list about KPilot? I was interested in
that also, but don't want to screw things
up again.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt at telus.net

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia

"The Malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous." - Churchill