[jp] My Sync Problem

p at dirac.org p at dirac.org
Thu Nov 30 18:27:04 EST 2006

I don't think this made it to the list for some reason...

On Wed 29 Nov 06, 12:03 PM, Phil Mendelsohn <phil at rephil.org> said:

> > Message: 2
> > Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:44:25 -0700
> > From: TR <tmst at nethere.com>
> > Subject: Re: [jp] My Sync Problem
>
> >> In light of your suggestions, here is my updated "here's where I am":
> >>
> >> 0. The visor driver is loaded and works correctly.
> >> 1. pilot-xfer can successfully list, backup, and sync the PDA.
> >> 3. jpilot is looking at the correct device file.
> >> 4. jpilot connects with the PDA, but the connection is quickly dropped.
> >>

> >> It appears that this is a jpilot problem.
> >>
> >> I'm still out of ideas.  Anyone?
> >>
> >> Pete
> >
> > Pete,
> >
> > The situation looks hopeful.
> >
> > In lieu of any more specific advice, I'd say to move your ~/.jpilot directory
> > out of the way (perhaps something is corrupted therein) and attempt another
> > backup or a sync with JPilot.
> >
> > If that doesn't work, I'd try reinstalling JPilot.
> >
> > Be sure to tell us "Where I Am". :-)
>
> I've been reading this thread with some interest.  It seems that I have
> exactly the same symptoms as Pete (as well as just having finished a
> M.Sc. in Math -- I hope that's not a part of the trouble!)
>
> I did try moving .jpilot/ and reinstalling -- no joy.
>
> I'm not sure how quickly your pilot drops things, but mine (a Handspring
> Visor) just barely flashes before there is trouble.
>
> I have done this using usb:, or /dev/pilot, or /dev/ttyUSB1.  All of
> these seem to be set up correctly.
>
> I am using Debian, and vaguely recall something about libusb (was it?)
> needing the visor module blacklisted, but it's obviously loaded, and I
> can't find that doumentation anywhere.  Plus the thing that really
> throws me is, like Pete, it's been working through pilot-link.
>
> If I scratch my head further, I'll go bald -- and I *KNOW* it worked
> back in Sept.
>
> Thanks for any further ideas.

Yeah, I tried moving .jpilot last night.  No love either.  We're having
identical problems.  The connection is broken as soon as it starts.  As,
immediately.

I was hoping to not have to read about libusb, but I think that's what it's
come to.  Sigh.  I really just wanted this to "just work".

Does jpilot use some kind of backend sync software?  In other words, does it
use something like "coldsync" for sync duties (the way xcdroast uses
cdparanoia and cdrecord as a backend) or does jpilot accomplish the sync
itself?

I don't think the fact that we both have Debian is a coincidence,
unfortunately.  I'm wondering if I compile jpilot from source, if I can get
it work.

> P.S.:  where are you studying, Pete?

Getting a masters in applied mathematics from the Courant institute at NYU.
Concentration is finance.  My PhD is in theoretical physics, so the "math"
part of this degree is mostly trivial.  It's the ideas that are difficult.
Working full time now, and work/school combination is not a happy mix.  :)

How about you?

Pete