[jp] Sync problems

David A. Desrosiers hacker at gnu-designs.com
Wed Nov 29 19:19:15 EST 2006

> Later, reading the posts here, I realised that perhaps Gnome-pilot
> was interfering with JP so I removed it. Unfortunately that did not
> enable me to sync....

 	But did you kill the daemon? It will auto-restart on login if
you don't disable it and kill it off. It's caused problems exactly
like you describe for hundreds of users in the past years. Its
unfortunate that it still sits there in the menus, but doesn't
identify itself as *NOT* for J-Pilot when you launch it.

> When I set up JP in the first place I was able to sync a few times.
> Would it make sense to remove JP and delete all the associated files
> in the hope that when I reinstalled the programme it might sync
> again?

 	No, this is Linux, not Windows. Uninstalling and reinstalling
won't fix this kind of problem (it will, however fix corrupted or
damaged applications files and libraries, but that's not what we're
dealing with here).

> I have already removed and reinstalled JP several times to no
> effect, but I know that there are a lot of files left over with
> "pilot" in their names and I did not dare try and delete them all.

 	Well, let's try making sure that you are only running J-Pilot,
with no offending conflicting daemons in the background listening on
the port.

 	Do you have your udev rules set up for your Palm device, so
the visor driver is loaded and the device in /dev gets created
automagically? See the README.usb documentation in the pilot-link
source for details on this (README.usb, *NOT* README.libusb in the
same tree).

 	If you've got a working kernel, udev configuration, current
visor module loads when you press HotSync, and you still can't sync to
/dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 (will vary, depending on your Palm model
and type), then the problem lies elsewhere.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod at gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com