[jp] My Sync Problem

TR tmst at nethere.com
Tue Nov 28 23:44:25 EST 2006

On Monday 27 November 2006 23:29, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Fri 24 Nov 06, 11:52 PM, TR <tmst at nethere.com> said:
> > On Thursday 23 November 2006 08:53, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > I seem to have lost the ability to sync my Visor.  Here is my setup:
> > >
> > >    * kernel 2.6.16
> > >    * jpilot 0.99.9.2
> > >    * Debian testing
> > >

> > > Here's my analysis of the situation:
> > >

> > > 0. visor.o is built into the kernel.  From /proc/config.gz:
> > >
> > >       CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_VISOR=y
> > >

> > > 1. The problem is not a kernel bug because I've been able to sync with
> > >    this kernel in the past.  I lost the ability to sync a month or two
> > >    ago, but I haven't updated my kernel in many months.  Note that the
> > >    Debian jpilot package *has* been updated quite a few times in the
> > >    past few months, including new upstream CVS releases.
> > >

> > > 2. The device file being used appears to be /dev/ttyUSB1.  Here's how I
> > >    figured this out:
> > >
> > >       * Initially, there's no USB tty device files:
> > >
> > >             $ ls /dev/ttyUSB*
> > >             ls: /dev/ttyUSB*: No such file or directory
> > >
> > >       * Press the hotsync button on the cradle.  While the Visor is
> > > trying to hotsync, udev creates the device files:
> > >
> > >             $ ls /dev/ttyUSB*
> > >             /dev/ttyUSB0  /dev/ttyUSB1
> > >
> > >       * During this time, reading /dev/USB0 produces no output:
> > >
> > >             $ dd if=/dev/ttyUSB0 of=/dev/null
> > >             0+0 records in
> > >             0+0 records out
> > >             0 bytes (0 B) copied, 3.62889 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
> > >
> > >       * However, reading /dev/USB1 produces output.  Presumably, this
> > > is the visor trying to connect:
> > >
> > >             $ dd if=/dev/ttyUSB1 of=/dev/null
> > >             0+12 records in
> > >             0+1 records out
> > >             101 bytes (101 B) copied, 39.3244 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
> > >
> > >       * So it's pretty clear that /dev/ttyUSB1 is the correct file.
> > >

> > > 3. Starting up jpilot, and using File | Preferences, I made sure that
> > > jpilot is trying to sync to /dev/ttyUSB1.
> > >

> > > 4. It appears that jpilot is connecting to the visor, but disconnecting
> > >    immediately.  Here's why I say this:
> > >
> > >       * Start jpilot.
> > >
> > >       * Press the hotsync button on the cradle.
> > >
> > >       * Press the hotsync button on jpilot.
> > >
> > >       * Visor plays beeps indicating a connection is made.
> > >
> > >       * Visor immediately plays beeps indicating a connection is
> > > broken.
> > >
> > >       * Visor displays "The connection ... was lost" message.
> > >

> > > So here's where I am:
> > >
> > >    0. The visor driver is loaded.
> > >    1. My sync problem is not a kernel bug.
> > >    2. The device files are being correctly made by udev.
> > >    3. jpilot is looking at the correct device file.
> > >    4. A connection is made, but immediately dropped.
> > >

> > > I've analyzed this as far as I can.  I really don't know what to do
> > > next.
> > >

> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Peter
> >
> > This was an amazing example of how *to* ask for help. I'm afraid I'll be
> > guilty of an earlier condemnation of the "Try this" approach. So, have
> [...]

Pete,

The situation looks hopeful.

In lieu of any more specific advice, I'd say to move your ~/.jpilot directory
out of the way (perhaps something is corrupted therein) and attempt another
backup or a sync with JPilot.

If that doesn't work, I'd try reinstalling JPilot.

Be sure to tell us "Where I Am". :-)

-TR