[jp] My Sync Problem

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Nov 28 02:29:26 EST 2006

On Fri 24 Nov 06, 11:52 PM, TR <tmst at nethere.com> said:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 08:53, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > I seem to have lost the ability to sync my Visor.  Here is my setup:
> >
> >    * kernel 2.6.16
> >    * jpilot 0.99.9.2
> >    * Debian testing
> >

> > Here's my analysis of the situation:
> >

> > 0. visor.o is built into the kernel.  From /proc/config.gz:
> >
> >       CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_VISOR=y
> >

> > 1. The problem is not a kernel bug because I've been able to sync with
> >    this kernel in the past.  I lost the ability to sync a month or two
> >    ago, but I haven't updated my kernel in many months.  Note that the
> >    Debian jpilot package *has* been updated quite a few times in the
> >    past few months, including new upstream CVS releases.
> >

> > 2. The device file being used appears to be /dev/ttyUSB1.  Here's how I
> >    figured this out:
> >
> >       * Initially, there's no USB tty device files:
> >
> >             $ ls /dev/ttyUSB*
> >             ls: /dev/ttyUSB*: No such file or directory
> >
> >       * Press the hotsync button on the cradle.  While the Visor is trying
> >         to hotsync, udev creates the device files:
> >
> >             $ ls /dev/ttyUSB*
> >             /dev/ttyUSB0  /dev/ttyUSB1
> >
> >       * During this time, reading /dev/USB0 produces no output:
> >
> >             $ dd if=/dev/ttyUSB0 of=/dev/null
> >             0+0 records in
> >             0+0 records out
> >             0 bytes (0 B) copied, 3.62889 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
> >
> >       * However, reading /dev/USB1 produces output.  Presumably, this is
> >         the visor trying to connect:
> >
> >             $ dd if=/dev/ttyUSB1 of=/dev/null
> >             0+12 records in
> >             0+1 records out
> >             101 bytes (101 B) copied, 39.3244 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
> >
> >       * So it's pretty clear that /dev/ttyUSB1 is the correct file.
> >

> > 3. Starting up jpilot, and using File | Preferences, I made sure that
> > jpilot is trying to sync to /dev/ttyUSB1.
> >

> > 4. It appears that jpilot is connecting to the visor, but disconnecting
> >    immediately.  Here's why I say this:
> >
> >       * Start jpilot.
> >
> >       * Press the hotsync button on the cradle.
> >
> >       * Press the hotsync button on jpilot.
> >
> >       * Visor plays beeps indicating a connection is made.
> >
> >       * Visor immediately plays beeps indicating a connection is broken.
> >
> >       * Visor displays "The connection ... was lost" message.
> >

> > So here's where I am:
> >
> >    0. The visor driver is loaded.
> >    1. My sync problem is not a kernel bug.
> >    2. The device files are being correctly made by udev.
> >    3. jpilot is looking at the correct device file.
> >    4. A connection is made, but immediately dropped.
> >

> > I've analyzed this as far as I can.  I really don't know what to do next.
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter
>
> This was an amazing example of how *to* ask for help. I'm afraid I'll be
> guilty of an earlier condemnation of the "Try this" approach. So, have you
> tried using the pilot-xfer utility? What happens when you do the following
> (after hitting the cradle's sync button)?
>
> "pilot-xfer --list"

> [...]

Hola TR,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I'm working on a masters in mathematics
while working a full time job.  It's leaving me with so little time...

Thanks for the reply and compliments.  I've been using Linux for a long time
now, and have learned how to ask questions well over the years.   :-)

OK, I did what you suggested, and the results were perfect:

   $ pilot-xfer --list -p /dev/ttyUSB1

      Listening for incoming connection on /dev/ttyUSB1... connected!

      Reading list of databases in RAM...
      StripAccounts-SJLO
      CityTimeDB
      Datebk3HDB
      AddressStatesDB
      AddressTitlesDB
      VendorsDB

      List complete. 38 files found.

      Thank you for using pilot-link.

So then, for shits and giggles, I tried to backup my palm using pilot-xfer,
and the results were perfect:

   $ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -b .

      Listening for incoming connection on /dev/ttyUSB1... connected!

      [+][1   ][SJLO] Backing up 'StripAccounts-SJLO', 80 bytes, 0 KiB...
      [+][2   ][CiAa] Backing up 'CityTimeDB', 8158 bytes, 8 KiB...
      [+][35  ][addr] Backing up 'AddressTitlesDB', 924 bytes, 464 KiB...
      [+][36  ][exps] Backing up 'VendorsDB', 472 bytes, 464 KiB...

      RAM backup complete. 36 files backed up, 0 skipped, 0 files failed.

      Thank you for using pilot-link.

In light of your suggestions, here is my updated "here's where I am":

0. The visor driver is loaded and works correctly.
1. pilot-xfer can successfully list, backup, and sync the PDA.
3. jpilot is looking at the correct device file.
4. jpilot connects with the PDA, but the connection is quickly dropped.

It appears that this is a jpilot problem.

I'm still out of ideas.  Anyone?

Pete