[jp] Sync problems

David A. Desrosiers hacker at gnu-designs.com
Sat Nov 25 14:11:23 EST 2006

> 1. rebuild the kernel with visor set to "y" (yes) instead of "m"
> (module).

 	This presents a problem when debugging, and when the visor
module crashes (which can happen sometimes), as well as making
debugging it (by removing it and re-inserting it with DEBUG=1 to
increase module debug verbosity), impossible.

 	It will also prohibit him from using or testing the new libusb
connection type that we've added in 0.12.x.

 	Stick with modules, especially for things like peripherals.

> 2. put the word "visor" in /etc/modules.

 	udev should be doing the right thing here, and if it isn't, we
should look there. There are details in README.usb and README.libusb
if you want to try those methods.

 	I'm curious though, and I think I know the problem here... if
he tells me where he is setting this timeout delay. I've seen users
try to "configure their Palm device" by using the GNOME Palm applet.

 	This is NOT going to work if you use J-Pilot, because that
applet will launch gpilotd, the gnome-pilot daemon, which will listen
on the port before J-Pilot can talk to it, effectively blocking a
successful sync.

 	If you do a 'ps -faux | grep -i pilot' and see a process
called 'gpilotd' running, kill it and try to sync with J-Pilot again.

 	If it works, you just found the problem.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod at gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com