[jp] Sync problems

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Nov 23 08:54:32 EST 2006

On Thu 23 Nov 06,  6:45 AM, Donn Washburn <n5xwb at hal-pc.org> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> >> it is the only VISOR that came from
> >> "zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i visor"
> >
> > That doesn't tell me what it is.  It only tells me where you saw the word,
> > and I gathered you found it in /proc/config.gz from the context of the our
> > conversation.  :)
> >

> >> So if 2.6.18.1 made config.gz then that is where it came from.
> >> Otherwise it was from SuSE 10.1 2.6.16.21-0.25-default
> >>
> >> As for where it comes from period - it is the kernel variable set to
> >> modules (=m) which can be found in /usr/src/linux-$[version}source/.config
> >
> > OK.  You forced me to download the latest stable Linux kernel, 2.6.18.
> >
> >>From reading the kernel source, I don't think hypervisor has anything to do
> > with Handspring or PDA's at all.  It appears to be a unified virtual console
> > driver developed by IBM.
>

> Good Luck!  If you do try it you will be rewarded with a faster more
> perfectly configured machine with less chance of a lockup.  Jus remember
> to NOT destroy your old kernel - add a new one.  That way if thing go
> wrong you can alway get beck up.

What the heck are you talking about?

I never said I was going to recompile my kernel.  I simply wanted to know
what hypervisor was.

> If you do try it you will be rewarded with a faster more perfectly
> configured machine with less chance of a lockup.

Wrong.  Choosing to not build a module does not lead to a "faster more
perfectly configured machine with less chance of a lockup".  That's just
silly.  Where would you get such an idea?

A module that never gets loaded (including a driver that never gets used)
does NOT slow the machine down.  It does NOT lead to a machine that less
likely to lock-up.  I suggest you read the Linux Kernel Module Programmer's
Guide (which I'm the author of) before making claims like this.

Peter