[jp] JPilot and newer Palm databases

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Mar 27 14:14:48 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 12:21 -0800, Ralph Alvy wrote:
> If I upgrade to a Palm that employs the newer Palm databases (Treo 650 or TX
> for instance), will JPilot handle them? Do I need to upgrade to pilot-link
> 0.12. to do that?

I am using:

- Linux Fedora Core 5
- jpilot-0.99.8-3
- pilot-link-0.12.0-0.pre4.5.2.1
- Treo 650

Everything works fine so far. I actually upgraded simultaneously to
Fedora 5 (from Fedora 4 which uses pretty much the same software) and to
Treo 650 (from an older PDA which uses PalmOS-3.5)

The way I handled the upgrade was:
- back up my old PDA on Fedora 4
- back up the Fedora 4 system
- format drive, install Fedora 5
- restore Linux backups, including ~/.jpilot
- in JPilot: export the 4 major PalmOS apps databases (Calendar,
Contacts, Memo and ToDo) to CSV format
- shut down JPilot
- mv ~/.jpilot ~/.jpilot.old
- start JPilot over, reconfigure it, then synchronize the new PDA once
(both PDA and JPilot are empty at this stage)
- optionally, in the 4 major apps, re-create manually the categories
existent on the old PDA, otherwise most if not all records will be
imported as Unfiled
- in JPilot, import the CSV backups of those 4 major apps
- sync the new PDA to JPilot
- reinstall .pdb's and .prc's of other applications from ~/.jpilot.old
- install new apps, tweak the PDA, play with it

It's convoluted but it avoids any potential problems with changes in the
PDB format for the 4 major default PalmOS apps, since CSV is a standard
format that doesn't change (knock on wood).

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/