[jp] JPilot and newer Palm databases

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 27 13:33:04 EST 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 12:21:31PM -0800, Ralph Alvy wrote:
> If I upgrade to a Palm that employs the newer Palm databases (Treo 650 or TX
> for instance), will JPilot handle them? Do I need to upgrade to pilot-link
> 0.12. to do that?

JPilot (and pilot-link 0.11.x) will handle them, but without the new
features (like picures or the birthday field in Contacts).

The way I understand it, palm changed the structure of the four PIM
applications, and to maintain backward compatibility they kept the old
database names as "fake" databases.  So, even though pilot-link opens
the AddressDB.pdb on one of the newer palms, it is actually using
ContactsDB-PAdd.pdb under the covers.  This link[1] has a tiny bit more
information.

The biggest implication of this, aside from not being able to use the
newer features on the desktop, is that if you restore the data to a
reset palm, you need to use the new database names, not the old (else
you won't restore the data in the new features), and certainly not both
(else you will get duplicate entries).

Jason

1 - http://www.jkware.com/CardBackupFAQ.php#Q13

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9