[jp] udev - intermittent failure

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Mon Mar 13 14:40:05 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 03:42, P. Oscar Boykin wrote:
> I don't know if this is related but I thought I would mention this post:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/usb/msg02684.html
>
> like the individual described above, I cannot sync using ehci_hcd at all.
> If I do rmmod ehci_hcd and stick to the uhci_hcd driver, everything is
> fine.  In my case, I am connecting the palm through a laptop dock, which is
> a USB hub.  Apparantly, the ehci_hcd driver has some bugs using full speed
> devices like the palm though hubs.
>
> I don't know if you are using the palm through a hub, nor if doing rmmod
> ehci_hcd is something you can live with (you might want the high speed USB
> for any external hard drive/ipod you might have).
>
> Best,
>
> On 3/13/06, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> > I'm new to udev and I've a problem.
> > When i first boot the computer syncing the Palm works. tail
> > /var/log/messages
> > gives me something about Visor at /dev/ttyUSB1.
> > After a period of time, or syncing a few times, the process that does
> > this fails, so now I get
> > Mar 13 20:46:31 localhost kernel: usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device
> > using
> > ehci_hcd and address 11
> > but the device isn't identified any more.
> > Can some one give me clues as to why? As soon as I reboot it will work
> > again.
> >
> > --
>
> P. Oscar Boykin                            http://boykin.acis.ufl.edu
> Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
> University of Florida

I'd forgotten about the hub - my use of it is new. I put the SD card reader on
the hub or else use of it broke the mouse which was conveniently on the hub.
Then as the card reader and the Palm have the same socket I started using the
Palm on the hub.
Thanks guys (incl Rodney) for these hints.
Liz

--
I once decorated my apartment entirely in ten foot salad forks!!