[jp] Print Dialog Command Syntax

TR tmst at nethere.com
Thu Mar 9 20:19:31 EST 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 14:05, Donn Washburn wrote:
> Colin Brough wrote:
> >>I was recently trying some different options and was unclear about what
> >> the actual syntax in the edit box needs to be.
> >>
> >>In one case, specifying 'lpr' works. This indicates that the postscript
> >> is being piped into it. Yes?
> >>
> >>In the other case, 'cat > file.ps', it seems that, well, I'm not sure!
> >
> > It means the same thing: the PostScript is being piped to the first
> > command, which happens to be 'cat', which then sends its output onto
> > the file... since 'cat' doesn't modify its input, this just send the
> > PostScript to the file. You need a command of some sort because jpilot
> > has to actually execute something here.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> cat - concatenate files and print on the standard output
>
> "cat" requires some kind of input and ">" directs the output to a file.
>
> Just "cat" on a line with no input takes a keyboard input and reprints
> it to the screen or standard output.
>
> "cat bogusfile.name" gives you "No such file or directory"
> when bogusfile.name is not found
>
> So, what is his input?

Ah, I see. I got confused because I was calling ps2pdf incorrectly. The actual
command, if you want to output directly to PDF using the JPilot print
command, is:

"ps2pdf - - > file.pdf"

The two '-' characters signal stdin and stdout. Apparently, it won't output to
stdout by default, so you gotta put the second '-' there.

Fortunately, I don't have to do this, though, since upgrading to 0.99.8 fixed
the problem.

BTW, the input is postscript produced by JPilot using, I assume, gs.

-TR