[jp] Calendar Printing

TR tmst at nethere.com
Wed Mar 8 12:10:26 EST 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 12:24, Colin Brough wrote:
> > When printing either the weekly or monthly calendar, regardless of
> > whether I send the Postscript directly to the printer or to a file,
> > the output is far too large to fit on a single page.
> >
> > My current workaround is to then print the PS file to a PDF file,
> > which I then open in Acrobat and click "shrink to page", which
> > works, but...
> >
> > After searching the mailing lists, I could only find
> > font problems addressed.
>
> Well, I originally wrote the week and month printing code, and I've
> never seen a report like this...
>
> What size of page are you trying to print to?
> What print command are you using? (lpr, cat > file.ps, ...)
>
> Could you send me an example of the PostScript? (say a blank week or
> month in 2010 or whenever you don't have any appointments!)
>
> What PostScript interpreter are you using? (Is the printer native
> PostScript, or is CUPS using ghostscript or something to convert to
> the printer's native format?) When you say "print the PS file to a PDF
> file", how are you doing that? ps2pdf at the command line? And what
> page size does Acrobat report the imported PDF file as having?
>
> Cheers
>
> Colin

Colin,

I appreciate the info. It's given me some things to check out.

I'm trying to print to U.S. letter. I've got an HP LaserJet 4L. When I use
either "cat > file.ps" or "lpr", the output is the same (see week.ps).

The CUPS server is selected in the printer configuration (see
printer_properties.png).

I'm opening the ps file in Ghostscript and printing to PDF from there (in my
workaround). Strangely, Acrobat reports the page size as A4 (see attached
pdf_properties.png).

Thanks, again.

-TR