[jp] bug report

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at access4less.net
Fri Sep 9 18:58:09 EDT 2005

jchristy1 wrote:
> I'm running Mandrake 2005 LE and my ttyUSB files get deleted
> after every sync too.
>
> rpms installed:
> jpilot-0.99.7-3mdk
> pilot-link-0.11.8-9mdk

That is because udev manages device entries on 2005LE. Udev mounts a
dynamic file system on /dev, and create all the device entries "on the
fly" as needed. It will also let you create rules that specify the
device name, or create symlinks when a specific device is created.

The thing to remember on 2005LE is that udev, HAL, and hotplug work
together to dynamicly manage device entries, symlinks, and mountpoints.
On 2005LE, the /dev/pilot symlink gets created when you hit the sync
button, and removed after the sync finishes. As far as USB devices go,
when you hit the sync button, it is like you just plugged in a USB
device. After the sync is done, the Palm basicly "unplugs" itself again.
So the device entry is also removed. Now, because it takes some time to
do the cleanup after a sync, you can hit the sync button again and get a
different ttyUSB, but the symlink is properly created.

Mikkel