[jp] Address printing problem

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Mon Sep 5 14:30:00 EDT 2005

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:06:19 -0500
Carlo Graziani <carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Colin Brough wrote:
> >
> >>What about the option of sending printing through an external program the
> >>way the email client Sylpheed does it?  I send my Sylpheed output to the
> >>printer through enscript and can control the margins etc. as I need to.

> Another alternative that is worth exploring is, export the calendar to
> iCal format, and use another program to display and print it.
>
> I've just done this, using "PHPiCalendar", a web application for sharing
> (but not creating or editing) calendars over the web.  The advantage is
> that you display the calendar with your web browser, and therefore print
> it using the browser's PostScript engine, which -- in the case of Mozilla/
> Firefox, at least -- is quite configurable and powerful.
>
> Here's a quick summary of the process.  It is not necessarily optimal from
> the point of view of file sharing, permissions, etc., but the required
> tuning should be fairly obvious.  This is just a feasibility study.

Hmmm, thanks very much Carlos.  You've actually brought up a whole
different topic that is on my list of questions for the list -- how people
are working with iCal.  I am also using Sunbird, or rather am about to, as
a group of colleagues with different OS's are beginning to explore whether
we can share calendars.  We don't need a full-blown groupware app and have
been attracted by the possibilities of Mozilla Calendar/Sunbird or the
whole iCal format with any of the possible variations.  But I'll post that
as a separate message so as not to mix the threads.

Meanwhile, about using iCal for printing from JPilot.  For my present needs
the stock output from printing the weely and monthly views is quite
acceptable.  What I'd really like though is a year overview as I've read
about in the "plan" program (http://me.in-berlin.de/~bitrot/plan.html).
But I'll save my questions about that for the other thread.

Thanks for the printing ideas.  John