[jp] Address printing problem

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Mon Sep 5 13:59:40 EDT 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:49:59 +0100
Colin Brough <Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > Well, as much as I'd like to have the prining code sorted out I'd rather
> > you not have to suffer with a stress related illness.  Hope you get some
> > relief.
>
> It was meant to be a joke - take memo to self, never joke on e-mail -
> too confusing!

Hmmm, THAT is funny.  Been bitten by that one myself.  ;-)  What's even
funnier is what I went through trying to think of the right way to respond
to this poor guy going through a nervous breakdown.

> > What about the option of sending printing through an external program the
> > way the email client Sylpheed does it?  I send my Sylpheed output to the
> > printer through enscript and can control the margins etc. as I need to.
>
> The whole problem is that the current PostScript output doesn't
> contain the DSC (Document Structuring Convention) comments and
> constraints that allow other programs to encapsulate it, reset
> margins, etc.
>
> The only thing I've thought of that might help would be to:
>
>  - save the jpilot output to a file (eg jpilot1.ps)
>
>  - run 'ps2ps' on it: ps2ps jpilot1.ps jpilot2.ps
>
>  - this gives you a file with an extra blank page on the end, but it
>    does at least now conform to the DSC; if you load this into 'gv'
>    you can mark the first page and then 'save marked pages' to get a
>    final 'jpilot3.ps' file which is what you wanted in the first
>    place...
>
> HTH

Actually, it does.  I was thinking of a similar process but without
knowing the details as I've never had to do it before.  I suppose I could
bundle the whole process in a bash script (as if I've ever done that
before and just knock 'em out all the time) for the relatively few times I
would need to use it during a day. That is, until you have your breakdown
and can get around to fixing things properly.

Thanks, ;-)  John