[jp] Address printing problem

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Mon Sep 5 11:32:20 EDT 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:17:41 +0100
Colin Brough <Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > I'm hoping the answer to this one isn't as obvious as the "Today"
> > button message to the list. ;-)  When I print a single record from the
> > address database I get the record data formatted correctly and then 3 pages
> > of printing code that begins with
> > <snip>
> > How do I stop all the code from printing?
>
> The addressbook printing code is broken - at least in its interaction
> with spoolers such as CUPS.
>
> What's happening is the way jpilot currently generates its addressbook
> postscript means it interprets anything a spooler puts *after* the end
> of the address as more address to be printed. The only way to fix this
> is to rewrite the jpilot addressbook printing code - I know how, but
> simply don't have the time to do it at the moment.
>
> There's actually quite a lot of tidying up could be done to the whole
> printing code - making the code generated conform to the Document
> Structuring Conventions would make a huge difference - as well as
> finally adding features like colour printing on the addressbook. If I
> have 3 months off work with a stress related illness I'll have a go at
> sorting it :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Colin

Well, as much as I'd like to have the prining code sorted out I'd rather
you not have to suffer with a stress related illness.  Hope you get some
relief.

What about the option of sending printing through an external program the
way the email client Sylpheed does it?  I send my Sylpheed output to the
printer through enscript and can control the margins etc. as I need to.

I tried replacing the lpr command in the jpilot printing menu with enscript
but nothing happened.

Also, it would be great to be able to flip the jpilot output to landscape
and print A5.  That way one could print a day view and use it in an A5
notebook or print the address list the same way.  Easier to trim the A5
pages if it printed on A4 landscape.

Rgds,  John