[jp] Address printing problem

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 10:17:41 EDT 2005

> I'm hoping the answer to this one isn't as obvious as the "Today"
> button message to the list. ;-)  When I print a single record from the
> address database I get the record data formatted correctly and then 3 pages
> of printing code that begins with
>
> %%BeginSetup
> [[
> %% Code for writing CUPS accounting tags on standard error
>
> <several pages of code finally ending with>
>
> userdict/ESPwl[bind put
>
> %%Trailer
> %%Pages: 0
> %%EOF
>
> Other printing from JPilot to this printer seems to work correctly (such
> as a printout of one day from the datebook).
>
> How do I stop all the code from printing?

The addressbook printing code is broken - at least in its interaction
with spoolers such as CUPS.

What's happening is the way jpilot currently generates its addressbook
postscript means it interprets anything a spooler puts *after* the end
of the address as more address to be printed. The only way to fix this
is to rewrite the jpilot addressbook printing code - I know how, but
simply don't have the time to do it at the moment.

There's actually quite a lot of tidying up could be done to the whole
printing code - making the code generated conform to the Document
Structuring Conventions would make a huge difference - as well as
finally adding features like colour printing on the addressbook. If I
have 3 months off work with a stress related illness I'll have a go at
sorting it :-)

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk