[jp] KPilot Daemon conflict w/ JPilot

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Sun Sep 4 23:07:27 EDT 2005

I don't know why this isn't happening automatically for you.
Here's something to try, though:  add

alias char-major-188 visor

to your modprobe configuration file (/etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.conf,
depending on your modutils version).  Then reboot, or run "depmod -a".

The above should (I believe) alert the kernel that hardware requests involving
/dev/ttyUSB* (char device, major number 188) should be handled by the
visor module.

I haven't tried this myself, since I don't have this problem, so I'm not
certain that it will work.  If it does, it's at best a work-around, and
I would still try to figure out why the module doesn't get loaded automatically.

Cheers,

Carlo