[jp] Null User ID

Tom Russell tomr at nethere.com
Sun Sep 4 22:46:07 EDT 2005

On Sat August 20 2005 11:48, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> TR wrote:
> > Mikkel,
> >
> > I mistakenly replied to this using the wrong email address so apologize
> > for any duplicates.
> >
> > Apparently install-user was able to still find the device with the new
> > port designation, but continues to hang.
> >
> > Pretty wierd, huh?
> >
> > -Tom
>
> Hi Tom,
>  Sorry for the long delay - I was called out of town and I just got
> back... You should not have /dev/pilot untill you hit the sync button on
> the Palm. You may want to run "ls -l /dev/pilot" and see what it is
> pointing to. It is possible that it is pointing to a serial port. If
> this is the case, then hotplug can not create the proper link when you
> hit the sync button.
>
> Mikkel
Ah, this is a point I am not getting. Doing an 'ls -l' with kpilotDaemon
running and the palm connected, disconnected and/or killing kpilotDaemon, I
always get:

[/home/tom] > ls -l /dev/pilot
crw-------  1 tom uucp 188, 2 2004-04-06 06:27 /dev/pilot
[/home/tom] >

Of course, kpilotDaemon is configured to look at /dev/ttyUSB1. This device
actually is created when I kpilotDaemon is running and I hit the hotsync
button on the device, otherwise it doesn't exist.

So, pardon my useless info. This is too complicated for me. Thank goodness the
software is somewhat forgiving and/or the penguin smiles on me - knowing that
I've peered into the corporate Window of hell.

-Tom