[jp] access jpilot remotely from OS X

John C. Vernaleo john at netpurgatory.com
Sat Oct 8 11:19:13 EDT 2005

Hi.  I've been using jpilot to sync my PalmVx for a couple of years now and
really can't imagine using anything else.  I have jpilot and the palm on my
desktop with Gentoo Linux.

Sometimes, instead of using the palm to get stuff when I am away, I just log in
remotely and run jpilot over X.  This works great from my work desktop
(recently Mandrake 10.1, but not too long ago Mandrake 8.2).  The problem is
when I try use jpilot over X from my laptop, a powerbook with OS X 10.4.

X11 forwarding seems to work for lots of other programs (gaim, firefox, gthumb,
and so on).  When I do it with jpilot, the main window opens just fine, but
then if I click on anything, jpilot dies with this error:

kirby:~ john$ ssh john at ganon
Last login: Thu Oct  6 20:22:24 2005
john at ganon ~ $ jpilot
The program 'jpilot' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
   (Details: serial 5654 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0)

So, following the advice of the error, I tried jpilot --sync.  It will run for
a little longer that way (although unusably slow) and then crashed after a
clicking on a few (number seems to vary) buttons.

john at ganon ~ $ jpilot --sync
The program 'jpilot' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
   (Details: serial 20776 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0)
john at ganon ~ $

I'm using jpilot-0.99.7-r1 (from gentoo, compiled with +gtk2 and +nls use
flags).  Any ideas?  Or do people not really use jpilot over X11 connections (I
know it is odd since I could just use the palm itself).

Thanks
John