[jp] Out of memory Errors

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Wed Jun 15 18:26:45 EDT 2005

Kurt Wall said:
> Hi, list,
>
> Using J-Pilot version 0.99.8-pre9 from Fedora Core 4 (well, FC4-test3),
> I'm getting out of memory errors when syncing and simply when navigating
> about in the JPilot desktop. JPilot's configuration:
>
> $ jpilot -v
>
> J-Pilot version 0.99.8-pre9
>  Copyright (C) 1999-2004 by Judd Montgomery
>  judd at jpilot.org, http://jpilot.org
> J-Pilot comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the file
> COPYING included with the source code, or in /usr/docs/jpilot/.
>
> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.
>
> Date compiled May 19 2005 23:34:57
> Compiled with these options:
>  Installed Path - /usr/local
>  pilot-link version - 0.12.0

pilot-link 0.12.0 does not exist yet.  This has to be a pre-release
version.  If it is pre2, then get rid of it and get something newer
(pre4).  Don't go any further with pre2.

>  USB support - yes
>  Private record support - yes
>  Datebk support - yes
>  Plugin support - yes
>  Manana support - no
>  NLS support (foreign languages) - no
>  GTK2 support - no
>
> The errors navigating the interface look like (these appear
> when I clicked the DateBook button after syncing):
>     pc_read_next_rec(): Out of memory
>     pc_read_next_rec(): Out of memory
> I've attached a debug log from a sync session, which includes
> a couple of other "Out of memory" errors. As a final data point,
> when I exit JPilot, I get a seg fault. ;-)

You might have corrupted files in the ~/.jpilot directory.  You can try
removing the pdb files and pc3 files.  This of course will remove your
local data.  I suspect the pc3 files are corrupt.  If you are on a 64-bit
machine an older jpilot would have written incompatible pc3 files.

> I'm not sure if this is a local problem or something more general.
> Googling didn't turn up anything that seemed relevant. Might someone
> please apply a clue club to the side of my head?

Whack - Debian :-)  Slackware if you enjoy doing things yourself.

Judd