[jp] Categories in Datebook

David A. Desrosiers hacker at gnu-designs.com
Wed Jan 26 21:35:27 EST 2005

> You tell me - if J-Pilot works with the stock kernel, but not with
> the patched kernel, what changed to stop J-Pilot from working?

	This isn't the case 100% of the time with J-Pilot. See the
other 5 or 6 top-reasons people have sync problems with USB Palm
devices and desktop applications.

	We've identified several distribution kernel versions that
break, while the same kernel version built from upstream (unpatched)
sources using the same .config from the patched kernel, works fine.
SuSE 9.0/9.1 and Fedora Core 3 are the current "worst offenders", but
I'm starting to see that newer kernels from them seem to fix the
issues that slightly earlier kernels were reported to cause.

	Whittling, that's how we'll sort it out. Feedback from users,
identifying the platforms and conditions, we can figure out the cause
pretty quickly, and report that back upstream to the kernel
maintainers and other places where things are affected.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod at gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com