[jp] transient usb serial nodes on Fedora 3

Olaf Schulz jpilot at village.in-berlin.de
Wed Jan 26 14:19:32 EST 2005

Hallo Adam,
am Wed, 26.01.2005 um 14:31 h -0400 schriebst Du:
> Quoting "G. Vincent Castellano" <gvc at ocsystems.com>:
>
> > Adam Richard wrote:
> > > I agree.  It would be really nice if USB devices were handled better, for example if the
> > > device file doesn't exist wait until it does and print a message like "waiting for the
> > > Palm to be plugged in...".  The thing with USB devices is they don't appear until a
> > > certain period of time after the hotsync button is pressed, and it can be hard to tell
> > > how long that period of time is without a mechanism of checking whether /dev/pilot (or
> > > whatever you call it) exists.
> >
> > I'm getting spoiled.  I never thought to get into the code and implement this
> > myself.  I'll let you know.  But in the case where sync is started on the palm
> > first, I wouldn't know what to do.
>
> Currently, with USB devices, pressing hotsync on the Palm first doesn't do anything.
> You have to press Sync in J-Pilot afterwards.  In other words, the sync is *always*
> started on the Palm first when using J-Pilot.  I don't know if there's a way to have
> J-Pilot detect it, but if the guessing-game was just eliminated I'd be happy.

I am using hotplug to handle this:
I created a script /etc/hotplug/usb/visor (as my Treo 180 is handled by the
visor module as many other USB Palms, e.g. a Zire20). It's core content is a
line:
  jpilot-sync -p $USBDEV
run under my user ID after having carefully detected a valid USB device among
the different possibilities:
  /dev/usb/tts/1  #kernel 2.4.22
  /dev/tts/1      #kernel 2.4.19, 2.4.20
  /dev/ttyUSB1
  /dev/usb/ttyUSB1

I think this shold work with udev (which I understand as some successor of
devfs) as well as the search for the device is done after its creation.

> I seem
> to remember when I was using KHotsync, though, that it may have only required a hotsync
> button press, but maybe that was when I had a non-USB Palm.

see above, I never had a palm without USB.
I only have to press the Palm's hotsync button to sync. Be careful if you're
going to run pilot-xfer independently: first find some means to deactivate
your hotsync script.

Maybe your path names differ; I am using Debian sarge.

HTH
Olaf