[jp] Categories in Datebook

Adam Richard g4c9z at unb.ca
Wed Jan 26 14:18:14 EST 2005

Quoting Robert Gottesman <bobg at voyinfo.com>:

> >	If you're going to start hacking on the code, help us
> >reverse-engineer the data formats on irc (or through our pilot-link
> >development mailing lists).
> >
> >	I've started some books on pilot-link.org, in the hopes of
> >documenting and collecting ALL of this in one solid place. Feel free
> >to contribute what you can do the effort:
> >
> >	http://www.pilot-link.org/pimapi
> >
> >	We have Contacts fully decoded at this point, Calendar is the
> >next large one, and Tasks/Memos should be fairly straightforward after
> >that... until Palm changes it again.
>
> David ...
> Of course I appreciate the response .. but I'm compelled to ask a question (somewhat
> rhetorical).  I'm not a palm developer, but I would think that the palm data formats
> are public/published.  Based on your statement, that is not true or am I missing
> something.
>
> I can always hack a little "c" code .. but reverse engineering data formats is a
> painful exercise reserved for a select few (masochists?).  I'm not even sure where to
> start .. but I'll try to look into it.

I also found that strange.  Does PalmSource release their data format or not?  If not,
it explains why synchronizing seems so buggy, and further I would expect J-Pilot to
give a disclaimer that it can only make guesses and can't be sure synchronization works
due to lack of co-operation from PalmSource.  If so, the phrase "reverse engineering"
isn't true.

What handheld operating systems have their synchronization specification available for
everyone to use, i.e. of Palm, Windows CE, blackberry, and whatever others there are?
If some do and others don't, I would think it's not even worthwhile to try to reverse
engineer the ones that don't since it's so difficult.  At least I wouldn't be caught
doing it.

I really can't think of a reason why any of these companies wouldn't release their data
formats, though.  It would just hurt themselves more than anyone.