[jp] transient usb serial nodes on Fedora 3

David A. Desrosiers hacker at gnu-designs.com
Wed Jan 26 14:06:59 EST 2005

> When the Zire is plugged in, the device nodes are created no
> problem, but if I start a jpilot sync before the sync is started on
> the Palm, the sync fails because the nodes don't exist (yet).  This
> is a jpilot problem, but I was hoping to work around it by modifying
> the hotplug/udev behaviour to not remove nodes.

	Actually, plugging a USB Palm device into the cradle does
absolutely nothing, on any platform (well, except the T5, but that's
another whole set of hardware bugs not to be discussed here).

	You _must_ hit the HotSync button on the Palm side first,
before the desktop machine sees the "thing-at-the-end-of-the-cradle"
as a device it can communicate with.

	There is no "connection" at all, until you do so. It is like
plugging a lamp into the wall, with no bulb.

	The solution isn't to keep the nodes around, the solution is
to hit HotSync on the Palm first, then click on "Sync" on J-Pilot.
This is how it works.

	The other two methods, which gnome-pilot and KPilot use, is to
poll for the existance of the device in /proc/bus/usb/devices (for
gnome-pilot) and /dev (for KPilot), and begin communicating with it
when found.

> J-Pilot version 0.99.8-pre7 claims support for pilot-link 0.12 and
> everything works pretty good.

	Ok, if that is so, I stand corrected.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod at gnu-designs.com