[jp] transient usb serial nodes on Fedora 3

G. Vincent Castellano gvc at ocsystems.com
Wed Jan 26 13:39:00 EST 2005

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>>I have a Zire 72 which I am using with an IBM T23 running Fedora
>>core 3. (jpilot/pilot-xfer version info at end.  In order to be able
>>to sync, I first need to create the USB serial device nodes:
>

> 	udev should be handling this for you, see my message[1] on how
> to solve this for SuSE back a few months ago.

A apologize.  I was not making clear the nature of my difficulty.  When the Zire
is plugged in, the device nodes are created no problem, but if I start a jpilot
sync before the sync is started on the Palm, the sync fails because the nodes
don't exist (yet).  This is a jpilot problem, but I was hoping to work around it
by modifying the hotplug/udev behaviour to not remove nodes.

>>Date compiled Jan 24 2005 22:24:32
>>Compiled with these options:
>> Installed Path - /usr/local
>> pilot-link version - 0.12.0
>

> 	J-Pilot doesn't work with 0.12.0-pre1 as yet, unless there's
> been a release with the proper API changes to make it compatible. The
> 0.12.0-pre1 release announcement[2] mentioned this.

J-Pilot version 0.99.8-pre7 claims support for pilot-link 0.12 and everything
works pretty good.  (I did see some corruption in the Tasks/ToDo database, but
that may be because I did a restore of the Zire (PalmOS 5) from a backup of my
old VIIx (PalmOS 4).  I'll be opening a separate bug on that with jpilot.)
--gvc