[jp] transient usb serial nodes on Fedora 3

Adam Richard g4c9z at unb.ca
Wed Jan 26 13:31:51 EST 2005

Quoting "G. Vincent Castellano" <gvc at ocsystems.com>:

> Adam Richard wrote:
> > I agree.  It would be really nice if USB devices were handled better, for example
> if the
> > device file doesn't exist wait until it does and print a message like "waiting for
> the
> > Palm to be plugged in...".  The thing with USB devices is they don't appear until
> > certain period of time after the hotsync button is pressed, and it can be hard to
> tell
> > how long that period of time is without a mechanism of checking whether /dev/pilot
> (or
> > whatever you call it) exists.
>
> I'm getting spoiled.  I never thought to get into the code and implement this
> myself.  I'll let you know.  But in the case where sync is started on the palm
> first, I wouldn't know what to do.

Currently, with USB devices, pressing hotsync on the Palm first doesn't do anything.
You have to press Sync in J-Pilot afterwards.  In other words, the sync is *always*
started on the Palm first when using J-Pilot.  I don't know if there's a way to have
J-Pilot detect it, but if the guessing-game was just eliminated I'd be happy.  I seem
to remember when I was using KHotsync, though, that it may have only required a hotsync
button press, but maybe that was when I had a non-USB Palm.