[jp] transient usb serial nodes on Fedora 3

G. Vincent Castellano gvc at ocsystems.com
Wed Jan 26 13:19:13 EST 2005

Adam Richard wrote:
> I agree.  It would be really nice if USB devices were handled better, for example if the
> device file doesn't exist wait until it does and print a message like "waiting for the
> Palm to be plugged in...".  The thing with USB devices is they don't appear until a
> certain period of time after the hotsync button is pressed, and it can be hard to tell
> how long that period of time is without a mechanism of checking whether /dev/pilot (or
> whatever you call it) exists.

I'm getting spoiled.  I never thought to get into the code and implement this
myself.  I'll let you know.  But in the case where sync is started on the palm
first, I wouldn't know what to do.

Note that pilot-xfer 0.12 handles both cases seamlessly.  As I built jpilot
0.99.8-pre7 on top of this, I was surprised to find it didn't work.
--gvc