[jp] Problems syncing with udev and jpilot-sync

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 19 08:18:43 EST 2005

Adam Richard wrote:
> Quoting Carlo Graziani <carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu>:
>

>>Two thinkgs come to mind, by way of either eliminating or implicating
>>the 'su' part:
>>
>>(1)  Any authentication complaints in /var/log/messages, or in
>>/var/log/secure?
>

> Yes, actually.  Nothing less than all this:

<snip, syslog record of su and pam sulking>

>>(2) What happens if instead of using 'su', you do something like
>>
>>export JPILOT_HOME=/home/adam/.jpilot
>>jpilot-sync >> /home/adam/Desktop/pilot.dev_ran.txt
>

> That makes it work!  Thanks!  So what was the problem?

It looks as if some part of your pam configuration is allergic to
this invocation of su.  In particular, it looks as if parts of the
invoking environment are viewed as offensive.  If I had to guess,
I'd say /etc/pam.d/su invoking /etc/pam.d/system-auth, which calls
pam_env.

Pam gives me hives, so I can't really go much further than that.  I'm
glad it's working.  Make sure the permissions and ownership of the
files in /home/adam/.jpilot have not been changed, or are in any event
sane -- and don't interfere with your interactive use of j-pilot.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics       (773) 702-6645 (FAX)
University of Chicago                        carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
5640 South Ellis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637            Vive Les Pommes Frites De La Liberte'!