[jp] Interoperability

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 18 13:41:45 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 01:07:16PM -0400, Adam Richard wrote:
> What about the iCalendar/vCalendar format for the datebook and the vCard format for the
> address book?  Since these are standardized formats (as far as I know), it seems best
> to me to have a good datebook program use .ics files and a good address book program
> use .vcf files to store their data.  The Palm synchronization could then have conduits
> to translate between these formats and .pdb, then synchronize the changes with the Palm
> itself.

A couple years ago, I started a jpilot-icalendar project to do exactly
this.  I started with an icalendar import program, which imports .ics
files into J-Pilot's calendar.  It works well enough for me, but it
still needs some work, and I lost the motivation to make a full-fledged
icalendar sync conduit.  Especially when I realized how difficult it
would be :)  If anyone is interested, the importer is available here:
http://jp-icalendar.sourceforge.net/

> Unfortunately, I have not found a good address book or datebook program for the PC, and
> there's no conduit to do this conversion.

Evolution is not bad, though personally I hate using gnome-pilot.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9