[jp] Interoperability

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Mon Jan 17 22:32:08 EST 2005

I've been looking into different ways to marry programs in Linux to each
other (including j-pilot) and now see a common problem with several
programs. To let a mail client see the addresses in jpilot it seems that
a common database (say my-sql) needs to be used. The missing part is a
standard way to store things.

What I imagine is a database that has notes, address records, calender
info -- but not only that but the same data base would have your email
messages in it, bookmarks, accounting data base (so they share the same
address records) etc. I'm thinking that someone else must be going down
these roads.

A for instance - if jpilot used a database to store the records one
could  share that information via a web application. One's secretary
could add appointments from anywhere there was a browser.

Web apps have limitations but they work well enough for the many using
yahoo for their email.

How does j-pilot store its data? Has anyone thought of making it work
online with a data-base?

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    		       WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.