[jp] How to build CVS sources?

R. W. rikster5 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 12:28:31 EST 2005

1/11/05

Mark,

I'm a developer for Jpilot and I tend to agree that the build process
is not as nice as it could be.  Here are some answers to your
questions:

>>"configure.in:23: required file `./ltmain.sh' not found" which I
think
>>results in my subsequent make error:

This is bad reporting from the automake toolset.  What it should say is
that ltmain.sh was not found so it is regenerating it.  The jpilot
automake scripts used to run libtoolize before running the rest of the
automake suite.  I liked that better but the automake people, rather
than jpilot developers, have recommended not doing that and letting
stuff be automagically created.

>>/bin/sh: ../libtool: No such file or directory
>>make[2]: *** [expense.lo] Error 1
>>make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mark/jpilot/cvs/jpilot/Expense'
>>make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mark/jpilot/cvs/jpilot'
>>make: *** [all] Error 2

I get this to and I believe it depends a bit on the exact version of
automake you are using and how your OS has configured some files(I run
FC2).  The solution is to link libtool into the current directory: 'ln
-s /usr/bin/libtool .'

I know it is manual but in the end it does work.
cvs get jpilot
cd jpilot
sh autogen.sh [--whatever options you want]
ln -s /usr/bin/libtool .
make

Cheers,
Rik