[jp] How to build CVS sources?

Mark Blakeney mark.blakeney at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 10 20:45:40 EST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:28, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> This should be pretty common knowledge to anyone who builds software
> using autotools on POSIX distributions.

Instructions on how to run configure, then make etc are included with
source packages. Why should this autotools voodoo be the stuff of secret
knowledge?!

>  You almost certainly NEVER EVER want to build a CVS tree with a
>  prefix of /usr. That will overwrite (if installed), your local copy
>  of a distribution-supplied J-Pilot instance. If you're ABSOLUTELY
>  SURE you meant to do that, then --prefix=/usr is the right thing to
>  choose. Most people omit that, or specify another prefix. The default
>  is /usr/local, so it doesn't interfere with production, packaged,
>  working software installed by their distribution proper.

Yes I am sure. I am not going to install my hacked up version. I am
merely going to run it from the source dir. Isn't that a reasonable
approach and fairly common? If I don't use prefix=/usr I get all sorts
of other problems (runtime doesn't see the plugins etc).

> Which version of libtool does your system have? I've seen this bug
> dozens of times, and the fix in all cases, was to fix the reference in
> the various Makefiles to point to the system libtool, and not the
> libtool that is autogenerated in ../ from the source tree.

pc-/home/mark: libtool --version ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.6
(1.1220.2.95 2004/04/11 05:50:42) Debian: 220 $

What is the actual problem? Are you suggesting I have to hack up my
Makefiles after every time I autogen them?

Thanks for your help.