[jp] transient usb serial nodes on Fedora 3

G. Vincent Castellano gvc at ocsystems.com
Wed Jan 26 12:38:42 EST 2005

I have a Zire 72 which I am using with an IBM T23 running Fedora core 3.
(jpilot/pilot-xfer version info at end.  In  order to be able to sync, I first
need to create the USB serial device nodes:

[ ! -e /dev/ttyUSB0 ] && sudo /bin/mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
[ ! -e /dev/ttyUSB1 ] && sudo /bin/mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB?

I have a script to do this before syncing, but it would be nice to just have
jpilot take care of it.  If the usb serial nodes don't exist, then I either get
(starting the sync in jpilot first):

  Syncing on device /dev/ttyUSB1
  Press the HotSync button now
pi_bind error: /dev/ttyUSB1 No such file or directory
Check your serial port and settings
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
Finished

Or if I start the sync on the Zire first and then hit the Jpilot sync button:

  Syncing on device /dev/ttyUSB1
  Press the HotSync button now
pi_accept Invalid argument
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_PI_ACCEPT
Finished

Is there a way to get jpilot to create these nodes when a sync is requested?
I'll settle for instructions on how to get Fedora to not take away the nodes
when the device is disconnected.  I looked in /etc/hotplug[.d] but but my kung
fu is apparently not strong enough to figure out how to make hotplug do what I want.

I tried creating a /dev/pilot node with the same major/minor as /dev/ttyUSB1 but
this didn't seem to work.

Version/Build info:

    This is /usr/local/bin/pilot-xfer, from pilot-link version 0.12.0-pre1

    Build target..: i686-pc-linux-gnu

J-Pilot version 0.99.8-pre7
  Copyright (C) 1999-2004 by Judd Montgomery
  judd at jpilot.org, http://jpilot.org
J-Pilot comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the file
COPYING included with the source code, or in /usr/docs/jpilot/.

the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.

Date compiled Jan 24 2005 22:24:32
Compiled with these options:
  Installed Path - /usr/local
  pilot-link version - 0.12.0