[jp] please help :-)

David A. Desrosiers hacker at gnu-designs.com
Mon May 31 09:22:45 EDT 2004

> Most likely the USB ID for the Zire21 isn't known.

	That shouldn't remove any device inodes or symlinks in /dev.

	If it did, "That's Bad(tm)".

> If you get something like "is not claimed by any driver" then the system
> doesn't know the USB ID of your Zire21 and you'll need to update your
> usbserial.o module.

	He meant 'visor.o' of course ;)

	Or you can modprobe it with the right params, found by checking
/proc/bus/usb/devices at sync time for your vendor and product string, and
the loading it as follows:

	modprobe visor vendor=0x54c product=0xda

	Note that all of this visor.o hackery is going to be optionally gone
in 0.12.0 and later versions of pilot-link. We now have pilot-link (and
hence J-Pilot by inheritence) working over libusb without using the standard
kernel visor driver, and we gained a six-fold increase in speed for our
efforts. Not a bad tradeoff.

	When/if you figure out what these values are for your Zire72, please
update the table on the pilot-link community page:

	http://wiki.pilot-link.org/title/Palm+Device+Matrix

d.