[jp] Off-topic

Erik shiro at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Sat May 29 16:56:43 EDT 2004

Hi Liz,

I've never heard of another utility like that; however, I had also never heard of that one, so it's possible there are more out there.  If you find one, then disregard everything else I'm about to say.

If not, it shouldn't be too hard to cobble something together by using a linux distribution that boots from a floppy or CD along with the pilot-link software.  It won't have a palm specific menu (unless you want to design one, or try to adapt the one from penguinbackup), but it shouldn't be too hard to use.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be too many live-cd distributions that have the pilot-link stuff installed on them already.  Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org/) might have it - I can't find a complete package list anywhere on thier web site.  I'll download it and see.  I have not searched exhaustively, so that could be wrong.  Distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/) is a good place to find descriptions of various linux distributions.

Making it work may require tinkering with an existing rescue disk.  If you want to do it that way and need some help, I'd be happy to offer a hand.  A couple of questions first:

1- will it ever be asked to run on a really old computer?   (eg. a first generation pentium-I or something with less than 16 mb of ram?)
2- Do you or your friend have an existing linux distribution at your disposal?
3- Do you or your friend have any prior linux/unix experience?

take care,
Erik