[jp] web-based access

Justus H. Piater Justus.Piater at ULg.ac.be
Thu May 27 05:01:34 EDT 2004

I think VNC (http://www.realvnc.com/) does exactly what you need. It
provides a virtual X server whose console is simulated in RAM. You can
thus access it from anywhere via a client, have it persist across
login sessions, etc. Way cool.

To use it, you'd have to run your regular X session inside the VNC
server. When you log in locally, you connect to it via a local VNC
client; this is almost transparent to the user and incurs only very
little overhead. Then, from a different machine, you can fetch your X
session over to where you currently are, using a locally-installed VNC
client.

In addition, the VNC server provides a built-in Web server. So, from
an arbitrary machine running an arbitrary OS, you just point an
arbitrary, Java-capable Web browser to a specific port at your home
machine, authenticate yourself (see
http://www.uk.research.att.com/archive/vnc/sshvnc.html for security
issues), and voilà - you have your full-featured X desktop in your
browser!

Oh, and VNC is open source.

Justus

Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004 13:57:03
-0700:

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279