[jp] backup botch-up

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue May 18 07:48:36 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 12:07:35AM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
> 1/2 an hour later, most everything ws back on board INCLUDING whatever
> software conflict caused the FATAL ERROR in the first place. now I'm
> looking at weeding the archive, to try and put a stable, but nearly
> complete config back together. The questions are these;
> 1) What part does the .manifest play ?

The .manifest file is only used for expiring an archive directory.  It
lists all the files placed in that directory by jpilot-backup, and when
the directory is expired, jpilot-backup removes all the files listed in
the .manifest.

> Is it enough to remove suspect files from just the archive OR manifest ?
> or both ?

You can ignore the manifest.  I wouldn't recommend deleting files from
the archive directory though.  It won't affect jpilot-backup, but it
would be safer to copy the archive directory to another location, and
manipulate the copy.  That way you can always start over.

You might try restoring a directory from a day or two before you got the
error and make sure your palm is working ok.  Then look through the
archives after that to see what's different.  Or, if that doesn't work,
your only option is to start with the four builtin palm apps, and
install each application one by one until you identify the one causing
the problem.  You can install a single application/database with
pilot-xfer with the following command:

    pilot-xfer -p <port> -i <filename>

> 2) after another "Erase all data ?" hard reset, might there be bad stuff
> in flash ram ? The OS is still 4.1 (it's a palm IIIxe) so flash ram is
> not factory fresh.

I don't know the answer to this one.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9