[jp] character sets

Jürgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Tue Mar 9 14:53:35 EST 2004

R. W. wrote:
 >[I wrote:]
>>So I tried running it with "LANG=en_US", which I thought /should/
>>cause it to use ISO8859-1 as the character set, but it doesn't
>>seem to make any difference.
>
> First, what version of GTK are you running?  GTK1 doesn't have much
> trouble with accents and extended characters.

nova:~$ ldd /usr/bin/jpilot | grep gtk
         libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x00164000)
nova:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 25 Mar  5 13:09 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 ->
       libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.305.0
nova:~$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.305.0
    gtk2-2.3.5-1

> I'm not certain what your language, region pair is but if I assume
> German you would want to try something like this:
> 'setenv LANG de_DE.UTF-8'.
>
> If you really want English you can try 'setenv LANG en_US.iso88591'

This seems to make no difference whatsoever... i.e. even with LANG
set to en_US.iso88591 jpilot still uses UTF-8; I test this by
copying and pasting a string with an accent from a terminal window
that uses UTF-8 and from one that uses ISO8859-1.

Note that

    LANG=en_US.iso88591 gnome-terminal

/does/ give me a terminal that displays ISO8859-1; but

    LANG=en_US.iso88591 jpilot

gives me a jpilot which still displays UTF-8.

Also, the point is not that I care whether jpilot uses UTF-8 or ISO8859,
or whether my language is German or English... it's that my pilot uses
ISO8859-1 and all the text records I create on my pilot are in this
encoding... so either jpilot should do the same or it should convert
every record it reads and writes first.

Since PalmOS natively has a hand-writing recognition for the accented
characters from ISO8859-1, I assume PalmOS /always/ uses this encoding,
and that indeed all PalmOS device made use this encoding.  Is this
correct?  Are Palm devices sold in countries that use totally different
writing systems?  What about new PalmOS versions (mine is 4.x), is
there movement toward Unicode?

:j

--
Jürgen Botz               | While differing widely in the various
jurgen at botz.org           | little bits we know, in our infinite