[jp] character sets

R. W. rikster5 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 19:54:45 EST 2004

> The Palm's native character set seems to be ISO8859-1; Recent
> versions of Linux by default use UTF-8 and thus so does jpilot
> when running there... the result seems to be that if you have
> records with non-ASCII characters (such as the the umlaut in
> my name) things don't work right.  At best you'll get the wrong
> symbol displayed, at worst jpilot gets very unhappy and
> removes the contents of the field altogether.

> So I tried running it with "LANG=en_US", which I thought /should/
> cause it to use ISO8859-1 as the character set, but it doesn't
> seem to make any difference.

First, what version of GTK are you running?  GTK1 doesn't have much
trouble with accents and extended characters.

If you are running GTK2, it is much stricter about UTF-8 compliance.
I've submitted a patch to bugs.jpilot.org that vastly improves
internationalization(especially under GTK2) but it will take some time
to get it merged into the code.  Here are some things you can try.

The format for the LANG variable is xx[_YY][.encoding] where
xx is the two character language code(en, de, etc.)
YY is the two character region code(US, GB, etc.)
.encoding is the encoding which can be UTF-8, ISO8859-1, or a host of
others.

I'm not certain what your language, region pair is but if I assume
German you would want to try something like this:
'setenv LANG de_DE.UTF-8'.

If you really want English you can try 'setenv LANG en_US.iso88591'

--Rik