[jp] Treo 600 syncs

kb6mjb at excite.com kb6mjb at excite.com
Wed Mar 3 00:35:01 EST 2004

Just in case anyone was wondering.  'jpilot' syncs with the 'Treo 600'
via the USB cradle.

First, I installed 'pilot-link'.
There's good USB connection info at:
   http://pilot-link.org/README.usb

Older kernels may need to be patched:
   http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0310.1/0181.html
   (there may be better, more recent info on this somewhere else)

I had to do the following, as 'root' to get 'pilot-link' working correctly on my 'gentoo' distro:

   load the visor module
      localhost new_soft # insmod visor vendor=0x82d product=0x300
      Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-ac1/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/visor.o

   create a device node
      /bin/mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1

   make the device accessible to users
      chmod 0666 /dev/ttyUSB1

   check that 'pilot-link' and the Treo see each other
      dlpsh -p /dev/ttyUSB1

To get 'jpilot' to work correctly, and since the Treo was brand new,
I needed to create a user ID for it.

   As a user, instead of 'root'
      install-user -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -u "user_name" -i id_number

That's it, just:

   run 'jpilot' as a user, then
      hit sync button on jpilot
      hit sync button on cradle

Seems to be working fine as far as the standard apps are concerned,
though, I must admit, I've only done a few sync tests with some changes.