[jp] Re: JPilot, T3 and Fedora 2

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Mon Jun 14 23:47:59 EDT 2004

Sarah George wrote:
> There's several possible reasons.
> Here's a starting point:
> 1. Check that gpilotd and kpilotd aren't running (they can interfere
> with jpilot and its easy to have them start by default). Look for
> "hotsync" icons in the system try to spot these.

Nope, not running.

> 2. If this doesn't come up with anything, run (as the 'root' user):
> tail -f /var/log/messages
> This will give you a "live feed" of logging and debug messages from your
> system. See what it says about USB, Visor, Palm, etc. Feel free to post
> fragments of that log here if you want advice about what it means :)
Nothing shows up in /var/log/messages at all.

When I loaded the modules originally I got this:

Jun 14 19:10:05 grizzly kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Generic
Jun 14 19:10:05 grizzly kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
Jun 14 19:10:05 grizzly kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial Driver core v2.0
Jun 14 19:10:16 grizzly kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
Jun 14 19:10:16 grizzly kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Sony Clie 3.5
Jun 14 19:10:16 grizzly kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Sony Clie 5.0
Jun 14 19:10:16 grizzly kernel: usbcore: registered new driver visor
Jun 14 19:10:16 grizzly kernel: drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB
HandSpring Visor / Palm OS driver v2.1

Other things:

- /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 indeed is readable and writeable.

Weird thing: it wasn't before. So when I made it readable and writable,
I get this error:
pi_bind: No such device
pi_bind Illegal seek
Check your serial port and settings
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
Finished

So it seems like it can't find it now.

Futzing with the interval between when I click the jpilot hotsync and
when I push the pilot hotsync seems to make no difference.

lsusb gives me:
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Which looks suspicious to me.

Any more ideas?

Thanks much for your help!!

> Hrm the pi_bind thing is a pretty common error message; does our Wiki
> thingie have a list of various causes we've found on this list? A page
> that guides people through the process of elimination thats required
> would be really handy.

Agreed, that would be handy.