[jp] Instantiating jpilot on a different box

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 7 13:14:00 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:56:28AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Paul English wrote:
>
> > why don't you want to do this?
>
> Paul,
>
>   I've no objection. I was wondering if there was a way of directly
> synchronizing from the loaded PDA to an empty desktop. Apparently not.
>
> > scp -r works just fine.
>
>   Yup. Use it both locally and remotely. telnet and the r... scripts are all
> disabled here.

A slightly more efficient possibility is to use rsync, as in

Local machine> rsync -vlptruz remote.machine.com:.jpilot $HOME

which will recursively mirror the directory $HOME/.jpilot on
remote.machine.com in your $HOME/.jpilot on the local machine, creating
the local directory if it doesn't exist, and only updating local files
that are newer on the remote machine than on the local machine.

If you set RSYNC_RSH=ssh in your environment, this will work transparently
through your existing ssh authentication settings.

This rsync command-line has worked for me for a while now, but a quick scan
of the rsync man page might turn up a set of options that suits you better.
A little testing with backed-up .jpilot directories on both hosts might
serve to give you a warm fuzzy about the reliability of this approach.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics       (773) 702-6645 (FAX)
University of Chicago                        carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
5640 South Ellis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637            Vive Les Pommes Frites De La Liberte'!