[jp] Strange character codes

David A. Desrosiers hacker at gnu-designs.com
Thu Jan 1 18:17:46 EST 2004

> (And I still have the problem that the plugins isn't available when I
> build it from CVS.)

	I think I ran into this same issue. The plugins are there, but
they are being built with improper extensions, so J-Pilot can't find or
load them at startup.

	Look into your $PREFIX/lib/jpilot/plugins directory and see if
your plugins are libfoo.so.0 or libfoo.0 in there. If they are the latter,
the libtool that the autogen.sh script is building on your system (and on
mine) is being created incorrectly. The quick fix, was to rm 'libtool'
from the local jpilot cvs source tree, and symlink in the system libtool
from /usr/bin into there:

	cd /path/to/checked/out/jpilot/cvs/sources
	rm libtool && ln -s /usr/bin/libtool libtool

	Then try running 'make clean && make' again, and see if it helps.

	This exact process fixes it on my systems. Now the task is to
figure out why libtool is being generated in a way that breaks those
library symbols at link time.

d.