[jp] addres book & categories

Olaf Schulz jpilot at village.in-berlin.de
Mon Dec 20 17:23:54 EST 2004

Hallo Rodney,
am Sat, 11.12.2004 um  7:48 h -0800 schriebst Du:
> I'm using Debian Sarge & Jpilot 0.99.7-0.99.8.
>
> When I create categories withing jpilot, I can only have a certain
> amount.

The Palm OS 3.x and 4.x databases all support only up to 15 (+Unfiled)
categories by design.

> When I create categories on my Pam Tungsten W, I can create numerous
> ones,  but jpilot does not show them all.

Does the Palm Tungsten W (with Palm OS 5, I suppose) support more than 15
categories (+ "Unfiled")?

As far as I learnt in this list the Palm OS 5 standard applications maintain a
second "compatibility database" in the "old" (OS 3 and 4) format which is
synced by jpilot. How does your Tungsten map its numerous categories to the
limited compatibility database?

> Is this a normal behaviour?

This will lead to a more general question how an application should behave
which claims to be comaptible with Palm OS 3.x and 4.x data.

Olaf