[jp] modem phone dialer script

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Mon Dec 13 19:44:30 EST 2004

Judd Montgomery wrote:
> I have some C code someone donated.  I don't have a modem to test it with.
>  I'll send it when I get home to the machine its stored on.
>
> Judd

If you need a modem to test it on, just send me an address and I will
get one to you. I also have a 45 or 60 gig  hard drive I can donate to
the cause if you need one.

I did a lot of looking and didn't find anything that would just dial the
phone for voice calls.

Now that KDE and Gnome seem to have a unified clipboard you could make
it a really slick app. The user should be able to select text and hit a
hot key to dial so they could dial any number on a web page or any other
document. (I always thought HTML should have in addition to "mailto:" a
dialto: tag <g>).

I had a rather old windows program that did this within it self -- it
used a configurable pattern to detect what was to be considered a phone
number. Much simpler and more flexible than the mess they have in M$
phone dialer.

When/if you finish this I wonder it the two dialing routines (modem and
sound card) should be in a separate package? I would think if they were
in a such a package you would get more people interested in it and
adding support for more devices? Let's see, you could call it dialer or
dialed for a dialer daemon.

I never heard how your employment situation worked out -- are you
looking for any work now?

Karl

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    		       WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

When angry count four; when very angry, swear. --Mark Twain