[jp] malsync again

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 14 10:36:43 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:54:03AM +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
[snip]
> I have totally no issues with Plucker, and have been following it. The
> issues have been more on the channel availability front, plus the one step
> sync process in jpilot that gets everything done.
[snip]
> Actually simple: if I can manage the subscriptions and sync it from
> jpilot, I *will* use it.

When I first started using plucker about a year ago, I thought about
writing a jpilot plugin for it.  But I couldn't think of what the plugin
should do.  The fact that plucker spiders and builds its documents
separately from the sync process is one of the things I like best about
it.  I'm still using an older visor, so battery life is important to me,
and shorter sync times means longer battery life.  So I *don't* want a
plucker plugin that spiders during sync.

Of course, battery life is not an issue if your PDA recharges its
batteries while it's in the cradle.  Consequently, long sync times might
not be an issue either.  If that's the case, it wouldn't be hard at all
to write a plugin that runs the spider at sync time.  There is already a
python interpreter plugin (sorry, I forget where it's at, but you can
search the archives); it might possible to call plucker-build directly
from this plugin.

You will still need to manage the channels, however.  But, fortunately,
there are other tools that do this (plucker desktop, jpluck, pler,
etc).

> Done. I didnt know he *was* Avantgo. No wonder he is busy. But it makes me
> hopeful that a new malsync code base will be out and in Jason's hands
> soon. ;-)

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything :)

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9