[jp] malsync again

Sarah George slgeo1 at bigpond.com
Wed May 14 07:34:21 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 21:02, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> 	Just have Plucker put the files in your J-Pilot directory as new
> files, which it SHOULD sync back up (or maybe in the jpilot-backup dir?)
> when you hotsync. I'm not sure, as I've never done it, but it must be
> possible for it to see data on the desktop that doesn't exist on your Palm
> as "new" data, and push that to your Palm.

Here's how I work things. It'd be nice to get a generic "how-to" or something
on the web page for plucker... but for now here's how I do it:

I use a cron job to run a pluck-daily script. That script fetches the daily
updating content I want to a new .pdb file, and calls a palminstall script to
add it to jpilot's list of files to be installed.

That palminstall script contains, among other things a line like this:
     echo $1 | cat $HOME/.jpilot/jpilot_to_install - | sort | uniq >
$HOME/.jpilot/jpilot_to_install.new

$HOME/.jpilot/jpilot_to_install is a plain text file that lists the file names
(in full, with the directory included) for each file you want installed next
sync.

Oh; as for the "Which is better, AvantGo or Plucker" debate... Linux users of
all people should know that having a CHOICE is better.

--
Sarah George [at home]
slgeo1 at bigpond.com
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~sarahg